Stop Making Sense (1984)

Let me just state ahead of time that the Talking Heads are my favorite band ever. Now that my bias has been established, we can talk about Stop Making Sense. This is easily one of the coolest movies of all time. As an audiovisual phantasmagoria, Stop Making Sense is par excellence; the music, the lighting, the energy, the crazy dances and funky costumes, it is all just so intoxicating and magical. The only thing better than watching the movie would be seeing the Heads live (I did see David Byrne in concert last summer with St. Vincent, and it was quite the experience). There is something that is just so enjoyable about their music; I must have heard all of these songs dozens of times, and yet they never get old; in fact one could say they are even more enjoyable upon each subsequent listen. The Talking Heads were playful and satirical, but never cynical, and were also deeply emotional and poignant at times. I remember last semester, when I was going to a school away from home, I played This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) on a loop to combat the homesickness, because it made me think of warm nights curled up in my bed with my cat purring next to me. Seeing these songs performed on stage brings them to life in a way just listening to them cannot, they make you get up and sing and dance along with them. Certainly, this is one of the most joyous movies I have ever seen.

Comments

Popular Posts